Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Writer's Wednesday: Writing, parenting, and magic. Oh my!




So, I’ve been watching a lot of Nanny 9-1-1 lately.  I seem to be addicted to it actually. LOL. But as I was watching one show yesterday, I noticed something.  Raising kids is a lot like writing a book!

 There’s a million ways to do it. There is no ONE right way, but if you’re doing something that isn’t working, everyone will know it.

I don’t want to say wrong way, because there isn’t a wrong way. And just because things work for me, doesn’t mean they’ll work for you.

So it got me thinking about how imperative it is to have a partner.  Sure, it can absolutely be done by yourself, but it’s a lot easier to have another set of eyes.  And it’s okay to ask for help when you just don’t have any clue what to do. AND sometimes you need another set of eyes that because you don’t know something is wrong until someone else points it out.

It also made me think about how I plot, too. Because just because I say I want the characters to do this, doesn’t mean they’ll do it. In that way, they’re a bit like children themselves.  Most are willing to follow the path you set out, but sometimes you end up with a character that really wants his/her way. 

You can try forcing them, but that ends up being a way to go backward, so sometimes compromise is the way to go.  Sometimes it’s okay to let them have their way, and sometimes it needs to be your way or the highway.


And the magic happens when you get it right.  Everything just shines and falls into place when it’s right. 

And it’s a marvelous feeling. Amiright?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails