Thursday, September 16, 2010

THANKFUL THURSDAY: Why We Write


For this Thankful Thursday I asked the girls to please send over something you’re thankful for - specific to your writing, your novel, or your characters. Is writing a stress outlet? Is it getting over that break-up because your characters do it differently? Here's what we all had to say:

Jessica:
I'm thankful for my writing because it allows me to escape to a world of my own creation. It's a great stress reliever. I've always daydreamed when I wanted an escape from reality and writing allows me to relive that one daydream over and over if I wish. And of course, get that smokin' hot guy I never had the courage to talk to in high school. ;)

AE:
Despite my need/drive to complete RESONANCE, which my agent is preparing the proposal for, I'm really thankful for the character who butted her way into my RESONANCE writing zone and insisted I write down a blurb for a dystopian. It might've opened up Pandora's Box of writing evils, like compulsion/obsession for me, but OMG the tone and tense and atmosphere of the book is addicting. I've been calling it the cracktopian because it's THAT addicting for me.

Jessie:
I'm grateful for those sentences where you go back and read it and you're like - OMG! I wrote that? (Cause it's that good.) It's those sentences that make me know I'm supposed to be writing.

Sheri:
I'm grateful that writing forces me to view people, their ways of life, and attitudes through alternative eyes. If I'm going to be true to my writing and my readers, then I must be willing to create multi-faceted characters and push them beyond my personal experience. 

Nikki:

I'm thankful for the opportunity to have an outlet for my creativity - one that I can share with others. There's nothing better than having someone read your work and love the story you've crafted. And if I can make them cry, all the better!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderfully chipper post for today! Excellent and makes me thankful to be among this writers blogging community of such positive writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent post! Yes, I'm thankful to be a writer too, since a lot of people only dream about it. Thanks for the great reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm also thankful - for so many reasons about my writing - but for today: being a part of a warm and supportive writers' community is like nothing else! And I'm much more brave living vicariously through my characters... they do so much I just can't bring myself to do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails