Thursday, September 29, 2011

Whoseywhatsit Thursday: Writing Prompt Sentences




Hi all.  Sorry I’m a little late this morning, even as a grown up, I get suckered into helping my parents (J/K. I don't mind helping them).  Anyway, so we’ve been doing writing prompts and I thought I’d do one of my favorite type of writing prompts; where I give you a sentence and somewhere in your 250 words or less that sentence needs to be there.  

There are no other rules. You can write about absolutely anything you like.  BUT to make it teensy bit harder, I want you to try and write it in a format that you don’t normally write in.

For instance, I normally write in 1st person present tense.  So I’m going to write mine in 3rd person past tense.  This is a wonderful exercise to do when you’re stuck, because it frees your mind a bit and it isn’t stuck in the same old rut. I don't know how many times it's helped me move forward.

So your sentence today is:  The stranger peered over his shoulder, before quickly stepping into the building.

I’ve left it pretty open ended for you to write it however you wish, but here’s mine for an example (BTW, it does NOT have to be the first sentence. Use it wherever you think is best). 


The stranger peered over his shoulder, before quickly stepping into the building.  Elle knew for that reason alone that he was the one she was looking for, but still she hesitated.  What if he wasn’t really the one? If not, she’d get in so much trouble with her uncle.  However, if he was, then she’d show her uncle once and for all he needed her.  And that she wasn’t just some fashionista with a chip the size of New Vegas on her shoulder.

She straightened her shoulders, adjusted her skirt so it showed just a bit more of her tanned thighs, and made the decision.  She was going in that store, and she was going after her guy.  He was the one. No one else would have a reason to be in that store at this time.  And she’d get the answers her Uncle needed from him. Failure wasn’t an option and there was no doubt in her mind that she’d win.  After all, no one could resist a pretty face. And she had the prettiest in town.

So go ahead and put your stuff in the comments and our lovely readers (including us) will tell ya what we think.  If you do comment, please "crit' someone else's comment. After all, it's only fair.  ; )


7 comments:

  1. Great prompt, Jess. Here's my off-the-cuff response.

    When his eyes caught mine as we passed on the street, I'd had to do a double-take. Gravity rooted me in place as I slowly pivoted back in his direction. The connection had been instant. Sizzling. I'd never gotten such a thrill out of one hasty look in my entire life.
    That did it. I was going after this guy. I might never cross paths with him again and I didn't want to always wonder "what if." And I knew I would.
    Once committed, my ballet flats smacked against the sidewalk as I hurried to pursue him. I had to wind through a crowd of mind-numbingly slow tourists, all staring up at the tops of buildings or trying to photograph the line of taxis waiting at the red light. And then, just when I had my dream-guy in his sights, I realized I wasn't the only one looking for him.
    With an outstretched hand, a lithe goddess-like woman wrapped herself around his arm. He pulled open a heavy, glass door and steered her inside. Even from down the block, I could read the sign: fertility clinic.
    With a lingering smile in my direction, the stranger peered over his shoulder, before quickly stepping into the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Nice, Jessie! What an awesome take on that sentence! While I'd had a more sinister thought in mind when I wrote mine, yours was more romantic. And immediate. LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carson stepped into his manager’s office and fell into the chair next to the window. He closed his eyes and exhaled a deep breath through his dry lips. Fumbling in his jacket pocket with his right hand, he pulled out a pack of cigarettes and shook them gently until one filter was exposed. He gripped the lone cigarette with his lips and pulled the package away from his face. He shoved the package back into his pocket and fumbled again, this time removing a disposable lighter.

    The stranger peered over his shoulder, before quickly stepping into the building. Behind him the woman followed. Inside, she shook out her hair and pursed her lips against each other. She kissed the stranger goodbye, leaving lipstick on his cheek. Looking up at the ceiling, she untied the belt of her overcoat and parted the lapels, exposing her bare hips. Gracefully she stepped down the hallway, stopping in the manager’s office doorway.

    Carson drew in deeply on the cigarette, his fingers crossed around it while covering his mouth. He exhaled smoke toward the ceiling. Then he heard a sound by the door. Assuming it was his manager, he looked over. He stared at the half naked red-head with her left hand on her hip holding her coat open. In her right hand he noticed a revolver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool, Ed. Sounds like a great detective piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jessie, Ed. It does sound like a great start to a detective piece. I hope you keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the encouragement. as soon as I get done with my ya adventure fiction chick lit piece I am on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the encouragement. as soon as I get done with my ya adventure fiction chick lit piece I am on it!

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails