Thursday, October 20, 2011

No thank you.

*borrowed from a DeviantArt artist*

Have you ever finished a book and were really, REALLY sorry you went along for the ride? Yeah. I'm riding that Struggle Bus right now. I just closed the cover on a book that felt like a total car wreck.

First thought:
wishing I had the hours back I spent reading it.

Second thought/s:
contrived, artifice, ridiculous, insulting, riding the cash cow till it spits...

Third thought:
What can I learn from that bit of bonfire fodder?

Things I've learned. (Can be construed as tips...)
1.) Readers are smarter than given credit. They are going to see the plot points that aren't right and it will turn them off.
2.) Contrived conflict and tension are visible.
3.) In regards to 1 and 2, when these things occur in a book, readers will feel insulted.
4.) Sometimes, it's best to let a good thing end. It gives you a chance to move on to something even greater.
5.) If you must continue past the point of a logical and satisfying end, please build on what's established and don't create new things not mentioned in the previous books. It feels very false.
And finally...
6.) Maybe I'm just a picky bitch. But I'm glad I didn't pay for that hardcover rubbish. And I will not recommend that book/series to anyone. Ever.

I'm sure we've all read stinkers. Any one learn anything good for a bad book they'd like to share?

4 comments:

  1. wow, and not only a book...but a whole series? that's too bad. you gave it a good go, though. you must've kept waiting for it to get better. sorry you were disappointed. glad it's over and you can move on to better books! christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christy. The series wasn't bad, wasn't great either. My YA beta readers LOVE it, however. Neither warned me about #4--they didn't like it either. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several favorites novels, but one stands out for this response. This story has the best plot I've ever read. Its unpredictable, smart, and well-constructed. However, the writing is so... bare. If it wasn't for the plot, this would be a horrible read. So there you have it: if you're a terrible writer with a great idea, you may still find a reader. But its always best to have both :)

    Take care,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually had a horrible run of just bad books. They have been self-pubbed writer-friends that I really wanted to like. I think many writers have family and friends as their BETA readers. Of course they won't have the heart to tell you what sucks.

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails