Thursday, December 13, 2012

Whoseywhatsit Thursday: Winter Writing Prompt



It's time for another Whoseywhatsit writing prompt, from yours truly. This week's topic ...


WINTER

It's winter season and the holidays are upon us - time for spending times with loved ones, warming up by the fire, and watching the snow fall outside your window (well, at least for some of us).

You have up to 250 words to get your character in a winter state of mind - develop a flashback, write a poem, try something new, whatever you want. Post those words below and then comment on at least one other person's writing. (You don't need to necessarily critique it, this isn't polished writing people!)

Ready. Set. Go!



(And here's mine ...)

I leaned my forehead against the cool glass window, trying to hold my breath so it wouldn't cloud the view. The lake had frozen over. A group of children, the servants' obviously, toddled across the ice, their arms spread out to either side to help maintain their balance. Their faces were covered, scarves wrapped around necks and across mouths. Hats pulled down over ears and foreheads. I couldn't tell who was who.

But it didn't matter. I would never be able to join them. I was stuck in this tower. Sure, it was comfortable. Ostentatious really, what with the roaring fire, the bear skin rug, the down comforter spread across the ornate bed.

I was a spoiled prisoner, but a prisoner all the same.

1 comment:

  1. ohhh... I like your character, Nikki. She feels so alone.

    I wonder what Wren would think about Christmas/winter in Miami...

    The best thing about winter in Miami is that you can still wear your bikini and get a tan. The worst thing is not being able to jump into the pool to cool off while getting said tan. Other than that, winter in Miami is about like every other season in south Florida - t-shirt and board short weather.

    This particular winter day, I was battling my way through throngs of people in search for one more gift for Chase, without any luck. The heat was fizzling out my holiday cheer and the rock speakers at the outdoor mall were blaring another version of Feliz Navidad, adding to my frustration. Seriously, how many times could they play that song in one day? Not even the iced peppermint mocha I'd gotten from Starbucks was cooling the stream coming out of my ears.

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails