Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Writer Wednesday: Fear

I recently read a wonderful blog post by the lovely and brilliant Kristen Lamb. I love her posts, and subscribe to her feed via email (and I highly recommend you do the same!).

The particular post I'm speaking of today is here.

In that post, she tells a personal story about fear, but then talks about fear as a writer. About how when something about a story or an idea scares you--in that I'm-not-sure-I-can-actually-pull-this-off kind of way--you should do it.

I'm feeling that fear with my current WIP. I'm revising it, and trying to figure out the best way to tell this story.  It's scaring the crap out of me, because I'm not sure what that way is. And I'm not sure I can pull it off.

Sadly, I don't have any advice about how to conquer this fear. LOL. I think, as Kristen says in her post: "Sometimes our only way out is through." I think I'm going to just have to do it. Try different things until I find the right way.

Dan Yaccarino was a speaker at the SCBWI Florida Regional Conference I attended a couple of weeks ago. His talk was about saying yes. He told us about how numerous times in his career, he'd been asked to do something he didn't know how to do and wasn't sure he COULD do, but he said YES anyway. And he found a way to do it.

So that's me today. I'm going to keep going and find a way to make it work.

When have you stretched yourself (in writing, or anything else)? Tell me in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes when I face something that seems impossible (I'm usually looking at a huge work deadline), I tell myself that there are only 2 options: get it done or fail. And since failing equals malpractice for me, it really isn't an option. It's amazing how when you give yourself no other option but to succeed, you find a way to meet your goals.

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails