Thursday, May 20, 2010

THANKFUL FOR THURSDAY: Count The Small Blessings

This Thursday, let's stop and remember to count our blessings.  There are lots of big, bad things going on the world.  Planes have crashed, oil continues to spill into our oceans, and Haiti is still in a state of emergency months after a devastating earthquake.  But today, take a moment to stop and appreciate what's going in your life.  Every small victory counts.  Did you lose a pound?  Get a manicure?  Did your kids spontaneously tell you that they love you?  

We'll share our joys, and we hope you'll share yours.  Remember: "Joy is not in things; it is in us." ~Richard Wagner

A.E. Rought:
Thankful
for the sun streaming in,
for the husband's calm understanding,
for the teens,
   their noisy life
   their quiet, fierce affections,
for the friends, new and old,
    their honesty,
    their unbridled devotion,
for family,
   here or gone,
   whose love is eternal
   as the sun streaming in

J.A. Souders:

I'm thankful for my family who understands that sometimes the muse won't wait.  I'm thankful for my husband who's love affair with anime and video games has given me some of my best ideas.  And once again, I'm thankful for my agent, who I know is extremely busy and has other clients, but always makes me feel like I'm her only one.  Also, for my best friends, who I met through my writing, without them I wouldn't be nearly as far in my writing as I am and I may have given up.  Thank you all!

Nikki Katz:

I'm thankful for continuing to come up with new ideas for future novels. It's reassuring to know that I have a pool to draw from in hopes of continued success!

Sheri Larsen:
There Are No Words (which I used on my blog on Tuesday) to express my gratitude to my husband for supporting my zany quest to publication. Don’t be fooled, though. It wasn’t all bliss and daffodils swinging from the vine.
I decided two years ago to devote myself to writing. The first year was rough--stated nicely. As always, my timing rocked. I started writing, joined a writers group, and took a few writing classes during the one year my four kids were in different schools. Yeah, stupid. I had one starting HS, one starting junior high, one in elementary, and the baby was in pre-school. I thought I would die. Writing took place at night which encroached on hubby time. My new career pursuit was not welcomed whole-heartedly. Everyone wanted me to succeed, as long as it didn't interfere with them.
But this past year has been a dream. My husband is ‘Da Man’—getting the kids up, making lunches, helping me with laundry and dishes. He believes in me far more than I believe in myself. When I thank him he says, “I’m investing in an awesome product. You’re going to do this. Want to make sure you remember me when you’re famous.”
Hah!! See why I’m thankful for him.

Jessie Harrell:
I am thankful for these amazing ladies with whom I have the privilege of sharing this blog.
I am thankful that my daughters made it *almost* all the way to school this morning without fighting.
I am thankful to not only be employed, but to have a job where my bosses understand and encourage me to do things with my children - like chaperone the pre-K4 field trip to the zoo on Wednesday.
And I am thankful for my amazing hubby, who loves his family with unwavering devotion and will go to whatever lengths it takes to make sure we are happy.

5 comments:

  1. Nicely put together, Jessie. And I am thankful for you, too. All you ladies. This is an amazing privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful that I found such a positive blog with such + vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great post, ladies! With writing, it's all too easy to focus on what we don't have (an agent, a book deal, a finished novel, the right phrase for a scene). I appreciate the reminder to focus on what I do have.

    What I'm thankful for this week: the support of my amazing critique group, the creative outlet of writing for our blog, and the solid three hours of writing I squeezed in on Tuesday.

    I hope the rest of the week goes well for you all.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my mom's favorite phrases is: if you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
    I was coming home thinking about how freakin' hot it is already. Then I realized, I should be grateful it's hot: the new pool is now self-heating and it's plenty warm enough to go swimming with my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should make every day a Thankful Thursday. thanks to you girls for welcoming me in!!

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails