Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Tuesday Tunes: The Love Song for Your Novel

If you're anything like we are, you probably have a sound track... er, playlist, for your work. I can go through the songs on my playlist and know where they'd play if the book was ever a movie.  Yeah, I dream!  So, we want to know, on your sound track, what's the predominant LOVE SONG?

Mine is "Crack the Shutters" by Snow Patrol.  In Destined, Cupid & Sadie can only be together in the dark of night.  Seeing each other in the daylight would be a dream.  The chorus really sums it up:

Crack the shutters open wide,
I want to bathe you in the light of day.
And just watch you as the rays
Tangle up around your face and body.
I could sit for hours
Finding new ways to be awed each minute.
'Cause the daylight seems to want you
Just as much as I want you.

If that's not a guy who's totally head-over-heels for his girl, I don't know what is.  I can see this song playing in the final scene (epilogue in the book), and running into the credits.  And this video is really cool - watch at least until you get the flashlight part!

A.E.'s pickBeing a pantser/puzzler and waffling between projects the past few days, I'm going to go with the MS I have posted in YALitChat's First Five Pages crit group. Zain, my MC, is a real hardass, trained by an elite assassin society. He likes the life, thinks of it almost as an intimate relationship, until his perfect match Zoe comes along and blows his world apart and throws his "relationship" and his belief system into chaos. Suddenly life isn't the same, all he's prized is dirty, and unworthy of a love like hers. So, I choose Nickelback's SAVING ME. And for Zain and Zoe, the chorus really says it all:

Show me what it's like
To be the last one standing
And teach me wrong from right
And I'll show you what I can be
Say it for me
Say it to me
And I'll leave this life behind me
Say it if it's worth saving me

J.A.'s pick:I'm going to have to say Good To You by Marianas Trench for Mirror Image because Jackson is constantly watching over Lily and trying to help her understand the impossible (what he's done to her by showing himself to her), while also trying to prove to her he's better than Ty, her boyfriend.  It's also because Lily's trying to be something she's not around Ty, but Jackson always sees her for who she really is and loves her for it and she can't pretend to be the person she is around Ty any more.  The first section is Jackson's, and Lily's is the lines after the chorus.
Everyone's around, 
no words are coming now 
and I can't find my breath 
can we just say the rest with no sound. 
And I know this isn't enough,
I still don't measure up. 
And I'm not prepared; 
sorry is never there when you need it.


CHORUS:  

And now I do want you to know I'll hold you up above everyone. 
And I do want you to know I think you'd be good to me and I'd be so good to you. 
I would.
I thought I saw a sign somewhere between the lines but maybe it's me, 
maybe I only see what I want. 
I still have your letter, just got caught between someone I just invented, who I
really am and who I've become.

Nikki's pickKelly Clarkson's "If I Can't Have You."

Another song from my Shoreline playlist.  This fits perfectly with Maya, who is encouraged by her family to find another fish in the sea because they are concerned she may just have to sacrifice her boyfriend!

Can't breathe, can't sleep with some medication
I'll kiss goodbye to my reservations
I know there's other fish out in the sea
Not for me, I want you

Sheri's pickI actually broke down my playlist(s) by chapters. Each chapter has its own feel. I did, however, breakdown three separate playlists rightfully named inspire calminspire rough, and inspire upbeat. Ana, my girl, must come to terms with who she is and her family's past. Viktor, her destiny, has the same issues just in an immortal way. The song I've chosen shows their inner struggle to accept who they are and how their lives are destined to interact. It's not an easy revelation for either of them. Lifehouse's STORM is perfect. These lyrics sum up their confusion, distrust, yet longing of how the other makes them feel. 
I know you didn't bring me out here to drown.
So why am I ten feet under and upside down?
Barely surviving has become my purpose.
Cause I'm so used to living underneath the surface.

Remember: We at Oasis for YA encourage you to buy songs by these artists from legitimate sources. As authors, we should know better than most, piracy hurts the artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails