Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday Sanctuary: Dream Retreat

Every writer needs some sort of sanctuary.  A place where we can go to just relax and recharge those batteries after juggling all the balls we have to.  And it isn’t just the writing balls we have to juggle. 

Most of us have families that require our constant care, attention, and devotion.  It’s not that we mind doing it. Of course, we don’t.  We love our families and we love being with them. But there comes a time when what we need is alone time with ourselves to recharge our batteries.

Some of us rent beach houses, or take European vacations.  Or for the rest of us ( :P), we hide in the bathroom with the lights off.  LOL.  But we all have our dream retreat. The place we’d go, if we had the time and money. 

Mine is a waterfront place in the country, surrounded by trees where the nearest neighbor is miles away. 

And this past December we started the long road to making this dream come true, by acquiring a piece of land that had been in my husband’s family for years.  Now all we have to do is build that log cabin, I’ve been dreaming of.  :D 

We took a ride out this weekend to look at it, and it really is perfect.  It’s going to be a lot of work cleaning out all the brush and stuff that’s built up over the years of disuse, but it’s going to be the perfect retreat.  I already can see myself sitting on the back porch and staring out over the lake, while the sun sets and the crickets and cicadas serenade me.  :D

So, my question for you?  What’s your dream retreat? And what would you do to make it a reality and not just a dream?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, to have that dream escape. I'd love a high mouton wooded cabin with no neighbors in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I really have a dream *place*. My dream is very simple: I want to be alone. I got a brief taste a couple of months ago when my husband took all three kids to the Everglades with a friend. I was home all alone for two whole days with nothing I had to do, and it was AMAZING.

    I really think if I could have that once a month, or maybe a week a couple of times a year, I would be a much better mom and wife. (Nevermind the awesome amts of writing I could get done.)

    *sigh* Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Congratulations! My dream retreat is a cabin in the woods too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it weird that I reallyreallyreally want a treehouse? I would love to have a little writing treehouse somewhere where I can see but not hear civilization and can hideout for days. Also, congrats on the cabin-land acquisition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome news, Jess! Congrats. I'm sure many new novels will be born there. ;)
    For me, it'd a seaside retreat. Somewhere secluded and not too hot, so I could sit on the porch, enjoying the warm (not hot) air and breeze, and writing in my PJs (but no one would be around to see me).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your purchase!! I'm so with you on this one.... a log cabin far from prying eyes, surrounded by mountains and trees. What utter bliss! Somewhere in British Columbia or Alberta in Canada would be perfect for my hubby and me.

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails