Tuesday, October 26, 2010

YA-Inspired Halloween Costumes

Now, I know not all of my Oasis Sisters share my same passion for Twilight, but I had a *wee* bit of an obsession with the series in years prior.  Take last year for example...
With my vampire-phelia renewed by the series, I forced my daughters to dress up with me. I know most kids get to pick their own costumes, but not mine. Not last year anyway. We were the newest Voluturi -- minus the red eyes. (Yeah, I know you can't *turn* kids, but cut me some slack.)

So this year, the kids are picking their own costumes.  My little one -- she's being Spiderman. (Not girl ... man!)  Which made me think, she's picked another costume that comes from a book character.  I mean, comic books are a form of literature. We just call them graphic novels now.

And then I got to thinking about HOW MANY characters (and costumes) got their start from books.  Any superhero, right?  Harry Potter.  Star Wars (it was a book before a movie).  Even traditional vampires would be nothing without Bram Stoker's Dracula.

So as you and/or your little ones prepare for Halloween, be sure to pay homage to any literary characters who inspired your garb.  Any shout outs you want to share?

5 comments:

  1. I've never been very original in my Halloween costumes -- it's always boiled down to random things from around the house. However, I've lately wanted to get a steampunk costume going -- that seems like it'd be rather fun both to wear and to create!

    Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's neat to see all these literature inspired trick-or-treaters running around on Halloween!

    Love the picture! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have to say that I want to do a steampunk costume this year, but I don't have time. Maybe next year. My son has always gone as some book character, Capt. Underpants, Spiderman, Thomas the train, Batman, etc. And my daughter likes princesses and fairies. This year she wanted to be the frog princess. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. a steampunk costume does sound pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine are going as a chick devil, a ladybug, and a dinosaur. No literary characters here. I did try to talk the oldest (a huge HP fan) into going as Hermione!

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails