Tuesday, December 07, 2010

TUESDAY TUNES

Some stores and stations have been playing Christmas music since Halloween. The first jingle might elicit a smile, an "Aw. Isn't that sweet?" It also might rankle, pull a deep-seated growl of "too damned early for this stuff." Then, after Thanksgiving, the onslaught begins in earnest.

Does the repetitious droning of Christmas songs bring out The Grinch in you? Or, are you the one who whistles along while you work?

For me, it depends on the song. Some songs? Nails on the chalkboard. Others? I always hum with. So, out of Seasonal Author Awareness (no, it's not real, I made it up :P ) I asked my Oasis sisters where they weighed in on the like/dislike song list.

LIKES:
  • Jessie says, "I don't know that I have just one, but I recently bought Andrea Bocelli's new Christmas CD and all the songs on it are lovely. Even "Jingle Bells" sounds angelic coming out of that man's mouth."
  • Nikki's favorite is Jingle Bell Rock.
  • Jessica actually likes one I am not fond of. (Funny, those are the roles Jessie and I usually fall into *snort*) J.A. says, "Christmas Shoes is probably my favorite. It's made me cry every time I hear it."
  • Sheri's moved by the Little Drummer Boy. "I swear I tear up every year when I hear that."
  • I'm a sucker for Silent Night, by Mannheim Steamroller, but what brings me to tears every single time I hear it? Soldier's Silent Night.


DISLIKES:
  • Jessie's feeling run down by Da Yuppers (sadly they hale from my state) and their song Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (ARGH!!!! quote from Jessie)
  • Jessica is feeling the love for Feliz Navidad. ("Don't know why I hate it, but it makes me want to run screaming and I ALWAYS flip the station or whatever anytime I hear it.")
  • Sheri says. "I despise that stupid Batman song and that new Spongebob one. A sharp bristle pad wouldn't be rough enough to scratch my ears when I hear those. And as much as I love Elvis, would people stop making Christmas renditions of his songs. They butcher them. Should be illegal. Just sayin'."
  • I'm annually, perennially, eternally loathing I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. Everyone knows. They tease me. I talk to Santa and eye their present levels...
  • Nikki's least favorite is All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth.


Sorry Nikki... I had to. :P
So, dear Oasis Seekers, where do you weigh in? Hate a holiday tune? Love one?? Please share!

1 comment:

  1. There are a few traditional Christmas songs I absolutely love, but I just can't stop playing the Elf soundtrack. That CD puts me in a great mood and keeps me in the holiday spirit better than anything!;) (And I love that version of "Baby It's Cold Outside"!)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails