Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Who's Your Favorite Winter Character??

Seeing how we (you & me specifically) won't be together again before Christmas, I'd like to personally wish you a wonderful weekend and holiday celebration with you and yours. Thank you for supporting our little Oasis. ~Sheri~

I've been thinking since last week about how I could mix-up our normal music exploration, here on Tuesday Tunes. Finally, I got some inspiration.

My snowman.
Isn't he adorable??
He's made of springs. I can make him tall or really short.
I'm a huge snowman fan and also a major musical fanatic. When I was thinking about snowmen being my favorite winter character and music that would fit the season, it was inevitable that Frosty the Snowman would cross my mind. What was it about Frosty that got me clinging to the television screen each and every year as a child?

Was it that he was round or that he wore that rocking black hat? Maybe it was his eyes made out of coal, or the fact that no matter how much snow fell in Maine my snowman never looked quite as dapper as Frosty.

When I really thought about it, I realized that it was his character, plain and simple. He was genuine, and so was the song that indelibly etched his image into my childhood. Yeah, I'm a sucker for the true dude, and Frosty is one of the truest characters I've ever know. He would have done anything, including melting to death, to keep that little girl from being scared. (Not sure why that fact never scarred me as a child, but...) 

This might sound funny and maybe even a bit ridiculous, but the next time you're looking for some inspiration developing the innards of a character think of Frosty. He's simple yet dimensional, and somehow still whole.

Now, I have to leave you with one of my favorite all-time songs about him. The video is a bit scrappy, but it's just how I remember watching it as a child.



Who's your favorite winter character and is there a song that captures his/her image???

3 comments:

  1. My fave winter character for sure is Grinch. I love the arc his character takes. And he's funny to boot! And his theme song, You're A mean One Mr. Grinch is sooooo cleverly written. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, great question! I think I may have to agree with Christopher, though--the Grinch is pretty cool. I love villains who are later able to redeem themselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved Rudolph. Poor little under-dog reindeer. As a kid, you couldn't get me to sit on Santa's lap, but I'd stand outside Rudolph's "barn" and listen to his mechanical head sing Christmas carols. Note, however, that I don't really like the song, "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer." It's fairly annoying - esp. about the 15th time in.

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails