Monday, May 09, 2011

Monday Sanctuary: Crit. Partners.




I’ve been blessed in my writing life to have wonderful crit partners and beta readers and I never to seem to have a shortage of people willing to read.  In fact, I have a lot who’ve been asking since they finished my last MS to give them more (sorry, guys!). 

But for me, these people aren’t there just to read my stories and point out the flaws—though they do that, too!  And there’s never a shortage of errors.—it’s the support they give.

Writing is tough--even when the words are flowing—and it’s essential you have what I’ve termed as “back up.”  People who know what you’re going through and can help you not only celebrate the happy times, but also carry you through the awful times, and, believe me, there’s plenty of both.

My CPs tend to be everything from shoulders to cry on to muses.  I don’t know how often I’ve brainstormed with one and came up with a whole new way to look at the impossible and come up with a solution or even a brand new story line. 

So, peeps, I’m curious.  Do you have crit. partners?  If so, what do you use them for?  Are they your muse? Your shoulder to cry on?  Both?  Something in between?

9 comments:

  1. I don't know where I'd be without my girls. Maybe wearing a stylish white jacket with pretty buckles and clasps?

    Writing is hard. Full of thrilling highs, but also really souls crushing lows. My CPs are my sounding board, my support, and my lifeline. They keep me sane :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I consider my cousin to be my ultimate alpha readers. She gives me immediate feedback, even if I'm not completely done with the 1st draft. But she also provides me w/ encouragement whenever I feel like my writing sucks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found my most encouraging personal cheerleader/crit partner here on this blog. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any crit partners...yet. My husband is my alpha reader, and he gives great feedback. If he was the type to say 'this is some awesome!!!" when it wasn't, I'd only have him read for the ego boost. But he's a stickler for grammar and patching up plot holes.

    I'm a little scared to look for crit partners, but I know it's something that I need to do and I hope I can find a great circle of CPs like a lot of writers have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, like most writers, I'm never short on errors or insecurities. Crit partners help with both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I have an AMAZING critique partner. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. My crit partner is great! She's a very positive thinker and balances out my pessimism. Plus I get to read her work as well, which is always fun. It also helps having someone on the same, strange journey with me. I also find it is easier to push myself while writing knowing she is waiting on the next chapter! She 's an all around God-send! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the longest time, I didn't know you could find a crit partner. I never knew they existed!
    Only recently did I have the good fortune to link up with a couple of very nice ladies who are inciteful, kind, and find the holes and the 'huh's?' It makes me zero in on things I would most likely have missed and I'm very grateful. The thing I have difficulty with is giving them too much. So I've stuck with the first three chapters so far. I'm very aware of not overloading. If there is anyone out there that would like to join us...you are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two. One who's a friend and lover of books and my hubby, who's my toughest critic. My friend is the one who helps me plan, outline and plot all my character's demise. My hubby helps edit and critique the work I've done. If I can win him over then I've done a pretty good job.
    I found out the hard way not every writer can edit. Finding an editor that will polish the work you've done instead of re-writing it(in their own words)isn't always an easy task.

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails