Monday, May 23, 2011

MONDAY SANCTUARY


I'm sure I've talked at length about my favorite sanctuary hidden deep in the woods of Wisconsin. This year the annual May visit to Polly Falls is not to be mine. I've walked around in a funk, smelling the lilacs in bloom and thinking, "I should be packing." The cool mornings remind me of mornings at the Falls, creeping to the coffee pot so I don't wake the others. The smell of bonfires bring me back to the fires we had beside the river.

Part of me is aching for my sanctuary. I keep trying to console my pouty self with the fact we are going in the fall. But, it just feels like now is the time.

What do you do when you can't find sanctuary, or your escape route has been cut off? Do you have a back up? Is writing a sanctuary for you? Is reading?? Please share: I need a substitute.

4 comments:

  1. Bummer that you can't make it. It sounds amazing. I think the real retreat is my own head, but I'm still trying to work that out. The weather's nice enough now, though, that lounging on the back porch is a pretty amazing escape. Wind blowing through the trees, quiet streets, it's the only time I can hear my own thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! Starbucks is my sanctuary, but when I can't find one (*ahem* in a small patch of land between Charlotte, NC and Asheville, NC exists such a place) I seek out other coffee house places where I can snuggle with a cup of tea or chocolate flavored coffee and my laptop (Maci the Mac). There is also the writing inspiration playlist I use while stuck at home doing laundry.

    Hope you find something :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a sanctuary...I think I might take Nicole's idea and start hitting up some coffee houses. Although, there is a really nice arboretum near me...hmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part of me is aching for my sanctuary. I keep trying to console my pouty self with the fact we are going in the fall. But, it just feels like now is the time.
    beige couch cover
    holmsund cover

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails