Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Distractions: The Bane of All Writers

ANNOUNCEMENT FIRST:  If you entered our contest before we made your name and e-mail address a required field - PLEASE - complete the form again.  We're sorry for the oversight, but we have no way to know who you are otherwise. Silly us! And if you haven't entered yet, what are you waiting for?


Distractions are a part of life.  We need them at times, while others we wish they’d just leave us alone.  If you’re like me the distractions come from my two…well okay let’s say three (adding my husband) kids. 

Nothing else seems to distract me like they do.  When I’m in the writing grove nothing can get to me.  The world could literally be collapsing behind me and I’d never notice, but they step into the room and BAM! they’ve got my attention. 

I guess that’s a good thing, considering two of them are my kids, right? 

The problem with distractions while you write is your in the mind set of your characters.  You’re thinking as they are, especially for someone who rights in the first person.  So trying to get back to it after even a momentary distraction is difficult. 

So how do I deal with it? I write at times that I know I won’t get interrupted as much.  Nap times, after they’re asleep, while they’re with friends or what not.  But if I absolutely HAVE TO write—because, well we’re all writers and we know how the muse likes to grab us by the throat and make us sit in front of that keyboard until she’s wrung all the creative juices from us—than here’s a few ways to help with distractions.

Have your kids in the room with you ( I know.  Sounds weird, right?)  Most of the time with younger kids (and husbands) they want to spend time with you.  So I give my daughter coloring books, movies, toys, even her own little “computer,” so she can be like me. 

Force yourself to take a break every once in a while.  Say every hour or so.  Play with those kids or husband.  It will recharge those creative juices and give them the time they’re requesting.

If you really want to finish and they just won’t leave you alone no matter what you do, send them away.  LOL.  I joke, but I’m serious.  Call a relative, a friend of theirs, of yours.  See if you can have them watch your kids for you (if they’re younger and need watching) and trade time with them—if they’ll watch your kids now, you’ll watch theirs later. 

And if all else fails, grab a tape recorder mumble where you trying to go into it and spend the time with them. Sometimes the best ideas come from the distractions of my family.

Okay, and for all those that are saying I don't have kids, or a spouse this doesn't apply to me:  think again.  YOu may have a dog, a cat, a television, a computer.  Aren't they all just distractions.  The same applies to them.  Except I'm pretty sure you don't want to give your television to your friend.  In that case, unplug it.

3 comments:

  1. yes yes yes--so glad to hear I'm not alone over here w/this. good stuff~

    ReplyDelete
  2. LTM, my thoughts exactly. Since I can't write (or even think) during the day, I'm up at all hours of the night instead. Needless to say, mommy is very grumpy these days. When does school start??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be the television for me. The television and I can't be in the same room together when I'm trying to write.

    ReplyDelete

Breaths that matter...

Related Posts with Thumbnails